Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Adventures in Running: "I need a cuddle."

So it happened. What every runner out there fears and knows will happen eventually...I fell. Now, I've fallen before, a little trip and back up again but this, this was a flat-on-the-ground-and-slide-a-while tumble.

I had just started my watch, and was still looking at it, when I turned my ankle (which is FINE) and started stumbling. I tried to recover for about ten steps, and I thought I was going to too, when I went down with a vengeance. I hit hard and then slid. Don't know when I hit my head on the curb but I did. I ruined my watch too and I think that is the worst part. That, and the embarrassment.

Went back inside which probably made Kevin wonder what the heck was going on as I hadn't been out of the house five minutes. Told him I fell and hit my head (because I didn't know the extent of anything yet and wanted him to know in case something happened after the adrenaline left) on my way to the bathroom, where I shut the door and started bawling. I was bleeding from my left knee, left forearm and elbow, and my right palm. Decided I needed a washcloth, which are kept in the other bathroom, and, upon leaving our bathroom, promptly tripped over the dog in the dark. Got my washcloth, and found my worried husband when I returned. Started with fresh tears and explaining what happened and that I ruined my watch, blah, blah, blah. Even confessed I was embarrassed. He hugged me long and hard because I needed a cuddle. Told me to shower and clean off all the dirt. I felt much better after that.

Once I was clean and composed, I realized I have road rash from my left wrist all the way to the shoulder blade. Also my left eyebrow was swelling a bit as were the forearm and knee.

Left forearm and elbow with swelling eyebrow in the back
 



I will be bruised for a while but I know I will also be running again soon (like tomorrow or, very latest, Friday) and I will probably even fall again someday. But that's okay because I'm a "real" runner and real runners fall. And get back up again.

Hope this finds you happy and healthy!

2 comments:

  1. Aww... I believe I fell once in high school on the school track, I'm to fast for my feet heehee. I have fallen many a times in all my years of sports so dont feel bad. I am currently recovering from a hamstring injury, its been 2 1/2 weeks and I am getting so anxious to start running again...UGH but I know its still gonna be another week or two maybe longer till I can really get back into it. Get better my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet lady. I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Apparently my arm was across my chest and my ribs ache and it hurts to breathe. I was able to take the dog for a walk this morning so better than nothing. :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you so much for your lovely comments!