Friday, August 23, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Today is my BFF's birthday. Happy Birthday, LT!! Hope your day is as special as you are!! I made you this card with a little something inside. :)

I've been trying to branch out in my card-making and experimenting with layers and size. This card is 5.5 by 5.5 inches and as you can see I used lots of layers!



I used a stamped image called Stack'O'Cakes that I received in a RAK but it's by Whipper Snapper and available HERE. I colored the image with my Prismacolor pencils (the color inspiration is from the example on the stamp) and, after using my 1/4 inch corner chomper, backed it on Stampin' Up's Real Red cardstock.



Like I said I am trying to use layers and textures so I laid out all the solid colored cardstock I was planning to use and went searching in my stash for coordinating prints. I found 'Back to Basics' pad, by The Paper Studio, that has primary colors in all different patterns. I hadn't set out an orange yet so when I saw this one, I knew it was perfect. To create even more texture, I decided to use a dry embossed piece and there's nothing better than Cuttlebug's Happy Birthday folder on plain white cardstock.




I started trying different layouts and came up with one I liked. Discovered that my dry embossed piece needed a backing so I went with more of SU's Real Red cardstock before applying it to my SU's YoYo Yellow card base. Paired the orange stripes with SU's Tempting Turquoise and centered that in the middle. Originally, I was going to center my main image as well but at the last minute I decided to offset it and add a sentiment.

My stamped images are from Printworks 'Small Tag Lines' stamp set. I used Memento Tuxedo Black ink and, after using my 1" and 1 1/4" square punches, backed on Real Red cardstock and added to the front with pop dots.



I pushed myself to do something outside of my comfort zone and, overall, I really like the outcome. What do you think?


Thanks for looking! Hope this finds you happy and healthy.

2 comments:

I love hearing from you! Thank you so much for your lovely comments!